Thursday, May 10, 2007

So much to do, so few time...

Woah, to be honest I was kinda skeptical about the potential of Second Life back when I first came to know about it, a couple of years ago.
All those people buying and selling land for real money?? No way, that's sick, I thought.
I guess I was bored enough a couple of months ago when I decided to make my account to try it out, and here I am opening a shop already :p
I confess it took me more time to prepare what is around the shop than what I actually sell. Making boxes, images for boxes, "vending signs", notecards, putting together a decent looking shop prefab, configuring the rezzing vendor 234525 times 'cause you forgot that nice option or you modified all boxes and you have to update all of them inside the vendor inventory etc etc.
I am not having a second left to actually work on my models since 2 weeks :p
On the other side, I had enough time to push forward other side projects I had on hold since a bit, noticing how they are slowly becoming my main aim. I started scripting for fun and to study how LSL actually worked, and recently came out with a nice set of script templates I will use in all of my scripted-light products. They work really nicely, in pairs, you place a script into a "light-bulb" child prim, and another in the root prim acting as switch. From the menu you can set who can access the light commands (All, Group or Owner), what color should the light (and the bulb) be (you can specify a color name from a list, and the system will take the according RGB values from an internal notecard), and set the light to switch itself on and off according to sun position (saving energy is important isn't it?). Switching the light on and off will also turn the full-bright properties of the bulb accordingly.
Eventually I will introduce a second script inside the root prim to manage the sun timer, instead of making the children manage it (horrible resource wasting, I know...) UPDATE: done it.
The system is kinda modular, placing 20 bulbs around a lamp and a script in each of them will let the main switch operate them all, which is kinda cool, since you can make all sort of light 3dmodel become more interesting with it. Of course the are 3d engine limitations playing a part here, I think the max is 8 hardware light sources rendered on screen at the same time, or something about that. But I like to make things the more general possible, you never know if they'll update that hardware limit...
Following this "breakthrough" I am gonna update also my Einhander chair with these new scripts, after all it works the same.
This tuning of my lightning system, apart from making me spend my online time with sun forced to midnight for the most part, allowed me to develop another cool thing which will be discussed more in depth in another post, a club lightning system that will hopefully introduce the work of LJs inside Second Life clubs ;) People who saw it said it's the most realistic club lightning system they've ever seen, but since I don't like to brag about what I made I guess you'll be the judge of it when I release it. Hopefully soon enough...

No comments: